"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..." (Matthew 28:19-20)

Monday, April 30, 2012

DORTMUND!! ...it's starting to smell like Knoblauch...


Liebe Familie und Freunde,

Wow, Dortmund is the greatest! I think I have done more in these last 4 days than I have my whole mission! No, not really, but we have been working and traveling and having a great time! I'm still not unpacked, but I guess that doesn't really matter. It is so great to be working with Elder Walker- we have a lot of fun and he is a really good cook! It was so neat to see Sister Garlick on Thursday... and Friday... and Saturday... and Sunday... I love it! Church was awesome, the members are so neat... and I thought the mission couldn't get any better! When we were traveling to Dortmund on Thursday the Elders here found a man named Kathir. He is from India and wanted to meet with us. There was a Choir Concert from a Frankfurt Church Choir on Saturday, so we took him with. He had never really been introduced to Christianity before, but he loved the concert and really wanted to come to church. He came yesterday, felt great, loved all the people, and said he would be back every week! Miracles! We have had some of the greatest experiences talking with people and giving out copies of the Book of Mormon, bearing testimony. The people here are so open! It is such a great blessing to be here. Elder Jardine also came up to the Dortmund Zone, and is in our District.. so three cousins all in the same district. Let's get to work!

I can really feel the great potential here in Dortmund. There are so many people that talk to us, that we talk to and with, who come to church, Institute, and other activities. There's a lot to do, but we can do it! Some missionaries asked me if I feel any different being a Zone Leader... no, I don't. I guess we just make more calls and plan a little longer :-) But we are still called as Missionaries: so we teach, serve, and love. I am so grateful for my calling as a missionary. I have been studying through the Doctrine and Covenants, and it is neat to see the progression of the Saints and the Church. First, it talks about the Book of Mormon and it's publishing, then to the Priesthood and organizing of the church, then right after the missionaries get send out. It has been neat to read through the early Saints' missionary calls and feel of their strength and spirit, and apply the Lord's message to me. I am in the D&C 50's right now, and it was neat how the Lord commanded the leaders of the church and His missionaries "None of you are to be rulers". I liked that. In the church, no one is a "ruler". We are all working together to help the work of the Lord go forward. Yes, we sometimes have jurisdiction over other, responsibilites to make sure that everything flows smoothly, but it is never to "rule". That is the job of the King of Kings and Lord of Lord. I am grateful for that thought this morning. I am so grateful for all the missionareis in the Dortmund Zone. We have 4 districts, and 11 areas, and a senior couple- the McPhersons! What a great Zone! It is exciting! 

Well, love you all lots- I am so excited for Mother's Day!! We will be going over to the Bishop's house then for Lunch.. with the Sisters :-) Plan on about 2pm Germany time. It that before church for you? We will finalize the times this week with the Bishop. And maybe Sister Garlick could say hi, too :-)

Tschüß!
ElderGarlick

No comments:

Post a Comment