"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..." (Matthew 28:19-20)

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Staying in Dortmond!


Just thought I would switch things up and email at the end of the day... we missed our bus going home, so we thought we would make up the email time now :-)

As you can probably assume, life is busy and so much fun! I don't even know where to really start. Sorry for not writing a real email last week. The work is going forth with power! Last week, we were able to go to the university class and talk about our missions and the church. The class had 6 students and the teacher is getting her Ph.D in American Culture and Mormonism... so this whole semester, the class has been studying the Book of Mormon with the seminary manuals, they have been coming to church meetings for assignments, and we came to the class to answer questions. It was a real neat experience. My testimony was strengthened the most in the fact that because these are spiritual truths we are talking about, we must find the answers through the spirit. I felt these students were studying the Book of Mormon and the Church as a textbook and from an academic standpoint- and because of that, they had many qustions and confusing understanding of our beliefs and reasons for what we do. I was glad I could bear testimony that I am totally comfortable and fine with not knowing the answer to everything about the earth, humanity, and the universe; but I am confident in that which I do know, which is that God lives. He is our Father and is an actual Being who knows me and wants me to reach my potential in life. I find comfort in knowing that if I trust in Him, with Faith in His Son and His Gospel, all will be well... and who knows, maybe some day I will know how the earth was created or the explanaition to how humans behave, etc... but honestly, I don't need to know. I know enough, and that's what counts. It was really great to go as a team of 4 missionaries to the class, each with such different backgrounds in life and the church. We really felt the spirit, and I know that those students felt something different than their other classes before. Not because of what we did, but because of the spirit.

I sure love you all. The work is going forth! Thanks for your prayers and support. I wish I could write all that I am feeling and experiencing. Today we experienced a lot of rain.. and kangaroos. We went to the Zoo for PDAy with the Zone. I love having Elder Walker as a companion. He's been teaching me some Aussie words and Aussie rules football. WE have experienced some great vision for the Zone and how we can help the missionaries in this coming cycle. Transfer calls were Saturday, and all four of us are staying in Dortmund! President called, and nearly gave us a heart attack... he said "Elders, you know it is transfer week, please put it on speakerphone. Elders, I know how much you wanted to stay together this cycle. Elder Garlick, I will give you one last chance. If the Mission Song recording is on my desk by Wednesday, you can stay in Dortmund with Elder Walker." We emailed him the song that afternoon :-) I love President SChwartz! He is such a great example of priesthood leadership and allowing others to use their agency.

I know this work is true

love yall!
Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif
Elder Nathan D. Garlick
German Frankfurt Mission
"Shall we not go on in so great a cause?" D&C 128:22

No comments:

Post a Comment