"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..." (Matthew 28:19-20)

Monday, October 10, 2011

Elder Friedrichs, Heinsberg, und Familie

Liebe Familie und Freunde:

My new companion is Elder Friedrichs from North Germany (Lüpek?). He has only 4 months left on his mission, so he is full of experiences and has helped me so much! He also doesn't speak English, and loves to talk and tell stories, so there has been some great learning and growing this last week! I am starting to think in German, which I haven't done before, but I think that is a good sign! I have had a lot of pride about German-speaking abilities- the Lord will humble us, and give us experiences we need to learn what we need to learn, do what we need to do, and be who we need to be, in order to fulfill His work. I've seen that, He is humbling me with a wonderful companion who is so full of love and goodness, who is so genuine and happy. I know that I will need to rely more on the Lord, and trust in His power even more that before.

District Meeting on Friday was focused on what we learned from General Conference and how to reach our goals by applying what we learned. One of the greatest things we discussed was the truth that the ways of God are distinct and fixed- no middle ground. We got to discussing the Book of Mormon, and how the Book of Mormon is truly either true or false, no middle ground. We practiced helping explain to investigators this truth and apply this more to our teaching. It is so true: if the Book of Mormon is true, the Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God, and he did all he said he did, including restoring the true church of Jesus Christ. If the Book of Mormon is false, then we have nothing, just a couple of fairy-tale ideas. I know it's true. This Book and knowldge have changed my life. I prayed again this morning to know if it is true: the peace and joy, the uplifting feelings were another confirmation to me that I do know that this book is of God.

I am so grateful for families! We were able to teach Brother Peeters with the Luchs Family in Heinsberg on Saturday, and it is so neat to see a bond of friendship made- such a bond that the missionaries really aren't needed, to many extents. Elder Friedrichs and I didn't say much, but Brother Peeters learned and grew and even came to church the next day, none of which had to do with us. I am grateful that Brother Peeters was able to feel the goodness of this strong family and see the blessings of the gospel in their lives, as normal people living as the Lord wants them to. We also met Kai at church- a man who just happened to come to church and learn more! We werw able to teach him the basic truths of the Restoration, and Brother Peeters was there as well, and gave his testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith- it was so cool!

I am also grateful to have another member of my family now, Travis! I am so grateful for the blessings of the temple and the ordinances that happen there. We have been able to talk about the temple with a couple of investigators here, and they light up and are so excited about the truth that they can work towards living with their families for eternity, being sealed together forever. What a glorious truth!

This is going to be a super week! From talking with all the other missionaries in the district, it is going to be a super week for this whole area! Miracles are happened, doors are being opened, lives are being touched. What an honor and priviledge to serve here at this time. I am humbled every day to put on this name tag and bear witness of Him whose church it is.

Ich weiß, dass Gott mein Himmlischer Vater ist. Er liebt mich. Jesus Christus ist sein Sohn, der der Erretter und Erlöser der Welt ist. Ich libe ihm. Ich bin so dankbar hier als sien Missionar zu sein.

Alles Gute,

--
Elder Nathan D. Garlick
Kirche Jesus Christi der Heiligen der Letzten Tage
German Frankfurt Mission
"Shall we not go on in so great a cause?" D&C 128:22

No comments:

Post a Comment