"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..." (Matthew 28:19-20)

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

General Konferenz und Versetzungen

Liebe Familie und Freunde

I loved General Conference! I was especially touched by Elder Waddell's talk in Priesthood about missions and how the Lord has a specific plan for me and my mission. I know that is true- it's just that the Lord's plan for my mission doesn't include travel plans very often! We received transfer calls on Friday evening, and Elder Van Camp will be going down to Feucht by Nurmberg in Bavaria. I will be staying here in Mönchengladbach, and have received the calling to be our District Leader. Our district is the missionaries in Gladbach, Krefeld, Wesel, and Duisburg. I am humbled by this assignment and and excited for all that will come about in the next six weeks! Escpecially my German- my new companion will be Elder Friedrichs, a German who can't speak much Englisch! I know the Lord's plan is the best plan, and I look forward to learning all the Geman and leadership I need to be an effective messanger of His truth to these wonderful people. I am so grateful for the time I had with Elder Van Camp- I think he trained me much more that I did him. I am so grateful for his excitement and positive attitude, his diligence and patience. The Lord knows me, and knew that I needed to be with Elder VanCamp at this time of my mission. I look forward to this next phase of learnind and development, all so I can serve Him better.

This week went by really fast, and I fear the rest of my time here will just go by faster! The nestest experience from this week was with General Conference. We met with Brother Peeters in Heinsberg on Saturday afternoon and then we went together to Düsseldorf for Saturday evening General Conference, which was the live session of America's Saturday Morning. He was a little confused and had a lot of questions. We talked for a long time on the train back to Gladbach, and cleared some things up, but mostly bore testimony that he can and must find out the truth for himself through the power of the Holy Ghost. "Think about it" were the words I left him with, and we expected to see him next Saturday. On Sunday, we had the replay of Priesthood and Saturday afternoon sessions, and during one, I got a call from Brother Peeters. He asked if there was another meeting Sonday night... I said "Ja". He asked if he could come... I said "Ja!" He asked if he could bring a friend... I said "Jawohl!" He drove all the way from Heinsberg with a friend for the Sonday evening session, which was America's Sonday morning. They loved it! The love the Choir, and the words of PResident Monson and the others. The neatest thing was that all the questions he had and we discussed the night before were answered in that session of Conference. What a truly great tender mercy of the Lord! I have always loved conference, but now I love it even more: it truly is no ordinary blessing!

Yesterday was a holiday, the celebraion of the Berlin Wall coming down and Germany was reunified. I am reminded of all that President Monson said in his book about the Church's influence on Germany, communist and democratic, during that time. I know that the goodness of the truth of the Church aided greatly in the fall of the wall- A temple was built, missionaries were called, congregations established, the truth taught and lived. The Savior was prophetic in His statement "the truth shall set you free". I am grateful to be here in a place where the truth played a large role in setting a people free. I see that freedom in individual lives as well- freedom from undue stress, freedom from guilt and shame, freedom from fear. That is the truth.

Sorry it is short today, with transfers tomorrow for Elder VanCamp, we had to shorten email time to get him ready to go!

I know God is; Jesus Christ lives; They love me. President Monson is a prophet of God, and the Preisthood is an actual power. Families are everything- I am excited to have a new brother-in-law on Saturday- love you Travis!
Thank you for your love and support.

Alles Gute,

--
Elder Nathan D. Garlick
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
German Frankfurt Mission
"Shall we not go on in so great a cause?" D&C 128:22

No comments:

Post a Comment