"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..." (Matthew 28:19-20)

Monday, October 17, 2011

Winter is Coming!

Liebe Familie und Freunde:

What a week! Exhausting, but wonderful! And it is getting cold! I am still completely confused with this whole Celcius temperature deal... I am used to 30 degrees being rediculously cold, even unheard of...below freezing! Well, 30 degrees here is actually very warm... on the verge of Texas hot. So when I look at a temperature sign on a building, and it says 12 degrees, first I ask myself "what on earth are we doing outside, we're going to freeze!" But then I realize I am really not cold, and I laugh a little and pretend I understand the celcius... :-) Needless today, we have been going around in pullovers, full jackets and gloves the last few days! And I got my Christmas packge yesterday, so we set it up under our little Christmas Tree we found in the Kellar... a little Christmas in Oktober :-)

On Saturday we had District Meeting in Düsseldorf with the Wuppertal District and Präsident Schwartz. We talked about using our talents and abilities to serve and help people in order to find people to teach. Elder Walker talked about that, and it was really helpful! I talked about our initial meeting with people, and how we need to establish our goals and expectations right from the beginning. I based it off of what the Lord said when He called Samuel to be a prophet: "When I begin, I will also make an end." (1 Samuel 3:12) I have recognized the power and received blessing upon blessing for learning and applying this principle: Having the end in sight from the very beginning, living by goals, spiritual "creation", having an eternal perspective. The Lord has truly blessed us here the last few weeks to see and understand these better. Of course, having the end in sight doesn't mean we have every step of the way figured out, and sometimes not even a clear 100% picture of what the end will be- that's why I am so grateful for the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Through revelation of Prophets, Scriptures, and us personally, we can get a clearer idea of the end goal, and be sure of the steps along the way. The Lord has been teaching me this the last little bit, and I am so grateful. I have a long way to go, but am grateful for the Lord's example when He said: "When I begin, I will also make an end".

Also on Saturday, we were able to meet with Familie Ntem. He is a member that hasn't been coming to church for several years, and his familie not yet members. They all went to church in Berlin, but are very busy now. We have been trying to get an appointment with them since March, and were so gratful for the chance to sit with him, hear about his life, read from 3 Nephi 11 together, and feel of his great spirit! He is so strong in the faith- his Bible and Book of Mormon are worn with well use! We felt the Spirit and invited him to come back- for the ward needs him. My testimony of simply inviting has been strengthened. Preach My Gospel says "Most people will not change unless invited to do so." I have seen that- a simple invitation to read or to pray, to come to church or to help, or to come and be a part, starts the process of them being able to act for themselves and receive the associated blessings. In this case as well, the Savior is the perfect example, for His invitations are soft and full of love, hoping that we act and come unto Him, open the door and feel of His love. We will be meeting with him and his whole family this coming week.

Sunday was Stake Conference and Br. Peeters came! He liked it and was able to talk with Präsident Schwartz afterwards. The Stake sustained a new stake presidency, and Präsident Kopischke of the Area Presidency was there to do so. The truthfulness of revelation from On High was confirmed as they explained what went on that weekend: The new stake president doesn't even live in the stake yet! We don't know how, but his name was known as one that was moving into the stake in a few weeks, and the Lord extended the call. He doesn't know anyone, nobody knows him- but the Lord organized it, and I was grateful to raise my hand to support and sustain them, so long as I am here in the stake. Revelation is real. Heaven and Earth are connected, and sometimes the boundary is not too perceptable. This week in District meeting we will be talking about revelation, and how we can strengthen ourselves, our companionships and our areas because of the instructions from On High.

As District Leader, I have the opportunity to go on splits with all the Elders in the district! I enjoy splits so much because I learn so much from the other missionaries! There are 52,000 missionaries in the world, which means that there are 52,000 different ways of doing missionary work- and as long as we are all obedient and full of love, then they are all correct and worth learning from. This week I get to work with Elder Trent in Wesel and Elder Birth in Krefeld. This cylce is going to fly by!

From study this week and some special personal experiences, I know that God lives. He is my Father: He loves and knows me. His Son is Jesus the Christ, the Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New, the King of Kings who who will return to reign. I am so grateful and happy that I have the privilege and opportunity to bear witness that They live, that They love.

How have you seen the hand of the Lord in your life today? :-)

Thanks for all of your prayers, love and support: The work of the Lord is rolling forth!
Alles Gute,

--
Elder Nathan D. Garlick
German Frankfurt Mission
"Shall we not go on in so great a cause?" D&C 128:22

No comments:

Post a Comment